About Barling

The name Barling, spelt in a variety of ways since the 10th century, when it was known as Baerlingum, is generally accepted to mean Baerla’s people.
The village and surrounding area has been inhabited for many thousands of years but we can say with certainty that Christianity was established in the village over 1000 years ago.  In the year 998, during the reign of Ethelred II (The unready), Barling was left in the will of Leofwine, a Saxon Thegn to his lord, Wulfstan, Bishop of London. 

The manor subsequently became the property of the Canons of St. Paul's.  Edward the Confessor later confirmed his gift of the parish to St. Paul's and the Doomsday Book of 1086 states that 'St Paul's has always held Barling as 1 manor'. In mediaeval times, Barling was one of the manors which formed the 'Communa'; revenue and produce being sent to London to support all the members of the Cathedral.

In 1846, the parish was transferred to the Diocese of Rochester, then to St Albans in 1877. Barling is now in the Diocese of Chelmsford. The Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, however, are still our patrons.  
In 1933, Barling and Little Wakering became a united benefice. The united benefice came to an end on 1 February 2008 when they became one parish.
Further information about the history of Barling and Little Wakering can be found here:-http://www.barlingmagna-pc.org.uk/barling_history.html
 
 
 
 
 Copyright Barling and Little Wakering PCC, 2012-15